D Day Museum - Museum and Heritage Volunteer
Purpose of role: To enhance the experience of visitors to the D-Day Museum by interpreting the exhibitions and supporting the day to day running of the Museum.
The role could involve the following tasks:
• Welcoming visitors to the Museum
• Providing information to visitors about the story of story and the collection including the Overlord Embroidery
• Guiding visitors around the exhibition (possibly in costume)
• Gathering visitor feedback information
• Patrolling and checking the Museum and the grounds
• Undertaking tasks to ensure the Museum operates effectively
• Getting involved in events and activities
• Providing support for the Front of House staff as and when necessary
Skills and qualities
• Enthusiasm and commitment for the role
• A friendly disposition and ability to relate to visitors
• A willingness to work as part of a team
• A commitment to learn and develop skills
• A desire to learn about D Day and the role of Portsmouth in the Second World War
Time commitment: Ideally we would hope volunteers could commit to one or maybe 2 days a week (10:00-17:00) but we understand that you will have other commitments on your time. There may also be some weekend, evening and Bank Holiday work. ( D Day Museum is open 7 days a week)
Support and training:
Volunteering is an excellent opportunity to learn new skills and develop existing ones. You will receive on the job training relevant to your role and ongoing support whilst volunteering. This will include
• initial interview and site visit
• induction programme,
• regular meetings and updates throughout your time volunteering.
Training needs will be identified at the interview including;
• customer care
• visitor interaction and gallery interpretation
• tour guiding
• health and safety
• fire evacuation
• equality and diversity
• patrolling and safety checks
• object handling
What will you gain in return?
This is an excellent opportunity to gain first hand experience of public facing roles in a busy heritage environment. Whether you are looking for some practical work experience or a friendly environment to learn new skills and share your passion for D Day, you will benefit from volunteering at the museum.
• Experience of working with visitors in a museum and the day to day running of a museum.
• Learning new skills related to the heritage environment
• Indepth knowledge of D Day and the role of Portsmouth in the Second World War
If you are interested in the role please complete and return the application form to Cecily Headley, Involving Volunteers Officer. Once you have completed and returned your application we will arrange an interview and site visit.
email@example.com, 02392 83491